What to Expect From Your Summer San Diego Travel
There’s no denying it: The last year-plus has been a tough one when it comes to planning travel. If you’re reading this, chances are you’re more than ready to get back out and explore the world. And we certainly don’t blame you! Thankfully, relief is on the way. Immunizations are on the rise, case counts are falling, and restrictions are loosening. That means your San Diego summer travel experience can be everything you hope for, and more.
Planning some summer travel to SoCal? We’d love to have you as our guest. Here’s an update on San Diego travel restrictions and what you can expect during your stay with us at The Dana on Mission Bay.
While it’s true that COVID-19 still remains a serious concern, all indications are that the worst days of the virus may be behind us. Immunization strategies have proven to be very effective. Immunity levels are increasing as more Americans receive the vaccine, making the chances of contracting or passing on the virus minimal. And California currently has the lowest per capita case counts of any state in the U.S. Although the choice to travel remains an individual one based on personal risk factors, the prospect of a vacation grows safer with each passing day. So for many, the time to plan is now.
Reducing Your Risk
According to current CDC guidelines, basic personal safety measures are still highly recommended. Appropriate face coverings should be worn over the mouth and nose at all times when indoors, as well as within six feet of others outside your immediate party while outdoors. Thorough handwashing — for at least 20 seconds with soap and hot water — should be practiced after touching public surfaces. Carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer in a purse or pocket for times when handwashing is not possible. Your risks are greatly minimized when you employ a common-sense level of caution.
Openings, Closings, and San Diego Travel Restrictions
As of May 1, 2021, San Diego County is in California’s Orange Tier of leveled restriction. This means that risk levels are considered moderate. Most indoor businesses are open and able to operate under certain specific conditions. As per San Diego County’s COVID-19 Information Page, the following is a partial list of businesses that are permitted to operate given that these conditions are met:
- Restaurants: Open for outdoor service. Indoors can open at 50% capacity or 200 people, whichever is fewer. Live entertainment is allowed.
- Hotels and lodging: Open. Fitness centers can open at 25% capacity. Indoor pools can open.
- Gyms and fitness centers: Indoors at 25% capacity. Indoor pools can open.
- Places of worship: Indoors at 50% capacity recommended.
- Hair salons and barbershops: Open.
- Personal care services (includes nail salons, tattoo, piercing): Open.
- Museums, zoos, and aquariums: Indoors at 50% capacity.
- Movie theaters: Indoors at 50% capacity or 200 people, whichever is fewer.
- Breweries, wineries, and distilleries that serve food: Indoors at 25% capacity or 100 people, whichever is fewer.
- Bars that do not serve food: Outdoors open.
- Family entertainment centers: Outdoors open. Indoors at 25% capacity or 50% capacity if all guests test negative or show proof of full vaccination, with additional restrictions. Includes bowling alleys.
- Outdoor recreational facilities: Open. Sales of food, drink, and alcohol allowed. Campgrounds can open.
- Indoor playgrounds (includes bounce centers, ball pits, laser tag): Open at 25% capacity.
- Amusement parks: Open at 25% capacity, with additional restrictions.
- Live events, including sports or entertainment: Open at 33% capacity in assigned seating.
The office of Governor Gavin Newsom has been very clear regarding the scheduling of restriction projections. Given the current rate of vaccine rollout, the state of California is on track to be fully reopened — restriction-free — by June 15, 2021. If current trends hold, the state means to do away with the color-coded warning system by that date. At a recent press briefing on the subject of California’s pandemic preparedness, Newsom said, “It is time to turn the page on our tier system and begin looking to fully reopen California’s economy. We can now begin planning for our lives post-pandemic.”
Your San Diego Summer
Due to the planned lifting of restrictions, summer fun is once again on the schedule in San Diego. In addition to the usual appeal of area attractions like Balboa Park, SeaWorld San Diego, and the San Diego Zoo, the summer events calendar is beginning to fill with amazing things to do. The San Diego County Fair — with all its exhibits, rides, and entertainment — is happening from June 11–July 4. San Diego Comic-Con will be holding a special event from July 23–25 (with another edition to follow in November). The 2021 U.S. Open Golf Tournament will be taking place in La Jolla from June 17–20. And the exciting Del Mar Horse Racing Season begins again on July 16. And of course, outdoor activities like hiking, kayaking, and water sports are always out there waiting to be explored. No matter where your interests lie, you’ll find great ways to enjoy your time here.
What to Expect From Your Stay at The Dana
We welcome you to plan your San Diego stay at The Dana on Mission Bay. Concerns about safety? Not only have we implemented an incredibly stringent level of cleanliness and sanitization throughout our property, but we’re committed to maintaining it even as risks diminish. Learn more about our “Your Safety First” Health & Safety Plan here. Additionally, The Dana offers a truly unparalleled level of guest service — including high-speed Wi-Fi, two pools, an outdoor Tropical Pool Bar, complimentary shuttle to SeaWorld San Diego, a state-of-the-art fitness center, a market, on-site rentals for water-sports equipment and bicycles, and exquisite dining at our on-site Firefly Eatery & Bar. Of course, our stunning bayside location also offers convenient beach and Marina access.
When you’re ready to plan your southern California adventure, be sure to check out our Exclusive Offers & Specials page to select the travel deal that’s right for you. We look forward to welcoming you!